An Interactive 5-Day Training Course
Using Protocol &
Diplomacy Powerfully for
Strong Interpersonal, Leadership & Stakeholder Relationship Management Skills
Protocol managers are the interface between their organisation and national and international government entities. They need strong interpersonal, leadership and stakeholder relationship management skills to manage the systems, processes, and procedures for governing smooth interactions with diplomats.
This Using Protocol and Diplomacy Powerfully training course is designed to enable you to strengthen your leadership, communication, collaboration, management, and delivery skills.
This Oxford Management Centre’s training course highlights:
- The cultural implications of image in presenting ourselves professionally
- Core knowledge, skills and understanding needed during diplomatic negotiations
- Facilitation skills that lead to positive outcomes during discussions and decision making
- A networking strategy for building a broad base of influential contacts nationally and internationally
- How to get the best from formal and informal interactions with journalists and editors?
By the end of this Using Protocol and Diplomacy Powerfully in Representing your Organisation training course participants will be able to demonstrate the following diplomatic management skills:
- Leading a protocol team responsible for coordinating events and VIP visits
- Supporting and guiding sensitive and complex negotiations with national governments, NGOs, and other international organisations
- Facilitating positive outcomes from discussions and debates within their organisation and with other national and international entities
- Developing and managing relationships with key individuals in organisations you seek to influence
- Proactive and reactive relationships with online and offline press
The course combines presentations that share both theory and industry best practices with practical sessions in accordance with adult learning and blended learner-centred principles.
Participants will have opportunities to put into practice the skills they develop and enhance during the course. We make the most of small and whole group exercises, videos, case studies, peer exchange, brainstorming, role plays and discussions.
We will spend time working one-on-one and in small groups to resolve the challenges participants face. They will leave with new ideas and skills they can implement immediately they step back into their teams.
Participants are encouraged to reflect on and discuss their own professional issues and experiences. Overall, 50% of training will be experiential and 50% will be theoretical.
Participants will receive a workshop manual with an introduction to the program, slides, overview, background information, exercises, and plenty of space for their own notes.
Participants will return to their organisations able to:
- Project a positive, polished, and professional image when representing their organisation
- Advise on protocol systems, processes, procedures, and guidelines that are appropriate for their organisation
- Lead negotiations that result in positive outcomes with national and international entities
- Facilitate collaborative discussions and decision making within their own teams and with other internal teams in support of diplomatic objectives
- Network, both online and offline, and build relationships with the key individual’s leaders what to influence
- Generate positive national and international media coverage for their organisation
Participants will discuss and hone their skills in:
- Leading the team in thorough planning in preparation for negotiations
- Paying attention to diverse personalities, positions, and undercurrents during negotiations
- Ensuring all views are heard and everyone contributes during discussions
- Aiming for commitment during negotiations and discussions, not just agreement
- Developing contact courses with diplomatic opinion formers, influencers, and decision makers
- Handling the media, talking to the press, and organising media interviews
Who Should Attend?
Individuals whose capabilities and performance will improve when they attend this training course include:
- Public affairs managers and government relations managers in the oil & gas industry, telecommunications, healthcare and finance
- Marketing, PR and sales professionals who represent their organisation at a national or international level
- Business owners needing to negotiate with government organisations as they expand into other countries and regions
- Graduate diplomats and protocol managers in embassies, consulates and high commissions
- Trainee diplomats and protocol managers in government departments and government agencies
- Dress codes for a polished and professional image
- Developing the language of diplomacy
- The mindset of a diplomat who gets things done
- The experience, knowledge, and skills of an effective diplomat
Managing Complex and Sensitive Negotiations
- Core knowledge, skills, and approaches in negotiating
- Identifying interests and positions
- Bargaining, expectations, and concessions
- Collaborative decision making
Facilitating Discussions and Debate
- Techniques to help you facilitate positive outcomes from discussions and decision making
- Best and worst facilitation practices
- Providing structure and guiding discussions
- Dealing with conflict, disrupters, and emotional responses
Powerful Networking and Social Skills
- Developing a networking strategy to create a broad network of influential contacts
- How to connect online and then move relationships into face to face?
- Working a room to connect with the individuals you wish to meet and build relationships with
- Honing key networking skills: rapport, empathy, respect, politeness and courtesy, attentive listening
Managing National and International Media
- Managing media interviews for print, TV, radio and online
- Projecting a powerful image in the media
- Speaking on and off the record
- Providing resources including press releases, background briefings and images
- Monitoring press coverage
- Action planning
Oxford Management Centre Certificate will be provided to delegates who successfully completed the training course.
All Training Courses delivered by Oxford Management by default are eligible for CPE Credit.